In the days following a car accident, most people are concerned with the damage to their vehicle. They worry about how long they’ll be out of commission due to their injuries. Then, after the initial shock of the crash wears off, they start to think about other things. For example, they want to know if the other driver’s insurance is going to cover their damages. When they can’t confirm this right away, they start to panic. This is usually when they call to meet with one of our Phoenix auto accident attorneys.
We don’t blame anyone for wanting to meet with a personal injury attorney in Phoenix, Arizona after their crash. It doesn’t seem fair that someone can slam into your car and leave you holding the bag. Our attorneys meet with clients every day who have been injured in some sort of accident. And most of them ask us the same question – how much is their case worth? As much as we’d love to answer this question, the truth is, we don’t know. Until we’ve had a chance to sit down and discuss your case, we don’t even know if you have a case.
This is why we offer our prospective clients a free, initial consultation.
Your Phoenix Auto Accident Attorney Can Only Get You Damages for Injuries they Can Prove
Sometimes, our clients can get a bit frustrated when they learn they can only receive damages for injuries they actually sustained. Movies and television dramas make it seem like all accident victims walk away with millions of dollars. The truth is that it rarely works out this way. In fact, most car accident lawsuits in Arizona are worth less than a hundred thousand dollars.
Our Phoenix auto accident attorneys can only demand that you be compensated for losses you actually suffered. For example, if you only suffered whiplash, then you won’t be entitled to more than a few thousand dollars. If, however, you experienced a traumatic brain injury or ended up partially paralyzed, you can expect to receive a lot more. It all depends on the circumstances of your case.
What Factors Make Your Car Accident Settlement Worth More Money?
There are a lot of factors that can impact the amount of your settlement. Of course, your injuries are important. The more serious your physical injuries, the more money you’ll deserve. However, there are other things that can increase (or decrease) the value of your car accident lawsuit.
Some of these factors include the following:
- Your age – If you’re young, perhaps in your late twenties or thirties, you’ll probably be entitled to more money than if you’re of retirement age. This is because part of your damages includes lost future income. If you have your whole career ahead of you, your personal injury attorney in Phoenix, Arizona will be able to demand more money. If, however, you’re already retired, you can’t demand anything for lost future income.
- Your income – The rationale behind this is similar to the one above for lost future income. If you make a lot of money, you’ll be entitled to more money for your lost wages and lost future income. If you only make minimum wage, you’ll receive a lot less in damages.
- Your percentage of fault – In Arizona, if you’re found to be partially at fault, your damages will be reduced by your percentage of fault. This is because Arizona follows the comparative fault rule. Since it is rare that either driver is 100% at fault, the defendant will argue that you were somewhat to blame for the crash. If they can prove this, your damages will be reduced.
Now that you understand what factors can impact the size of your settlement, it’s time to briefly review what kind of damages you can demand in your case.
Your Phoenix Auto Accident Attorney Will Demand Certain Damages
The whole point of suing somebody is to get money for your damages. When your Phoenix auto accident attorney files your complaint, they’ll have to list your damages. These could include any or all of the following:
- Medical bills and future medical bills – The defendant will be liable for any medical bills that resulted from the crash. They’ll also be responsible for any future medical care you’ll need.
- Lost wages – If you missed more than a couple of weeks from work, you can demand compensation for lost wages.
- Lost future income – Depending on the extent of your injuries, you may not be able to do the same kind of work after the accident. This means you’ll earn less than you would’ve had the crash never happened. Your personal injury attorney in Phoenix, Arizona can demand compensation for this difference in income.
- Pain and Suffering – Almost all car accident cases involved serious injuries warrant damages for pain and suffering. These damages are meant to compensate you for any physical and mental anguish caused by the crash.
Since Every Case is Unique, It’s Best to Meet with One of Our Phoenix Auto Accident Attorneys Right Away
When we first meet with a new client, there is a lot of ground to cover. We have to review any paperwork they have. We like to take a look at a copy of the police report and their medical records. This gives us a better chance of what your case may be worth. This is one of the main reasons our personal injury attorneys in Phoenix, Arizona offer a free, initial consultation. It gives us a chance to get a feel for your case.
If, after meeting, we determine that you don’t have a valid claim against the other driver, we’ll let you know. However, if the other driver was at fault, you’ll have a good chance of winning your case. This often means that you’ll be able to settle your case. Since very few cases ever go to trial, we like to talk about settlements rather than jury awards.
Once we’ve had a chance to review all the materials related to your case, we’ll have a better idea of what it’s worth. We’ll be able to give you a ballpark figure of what your settlement may be worth. Since that’s what you really want to know, it makes to call and schedule your free consultation sooner rather than later.